Neuville-sur-Oise is a village situated in the loop of the Oise, south of Cergy. The Commune, with a population of more than 2000, is at the gateway to the Regional Nature Park of the French Vexin (approximately 2kms.) Of mediaeval origin and formerly a hamlet of Eragny, the village was created in 1868. Its name comes from the latin nova villa, ‘new farm, or house’ and is completed by the river which borders the Commune. Until the Revolution the history of the village was closely linked to that of its seigneury and its château. The population consisted chiefly of farmers until the 1930s.
To the north, in conjunction with Cergy, Neuville-sur-Oise includes the open air leisure centre around the lakes of Cergy-Neuville (Leisure Island).The village is also home to an economic development centre consisting of tree nurseries; business incubation facilities (NEUVITEC95); a scientific and university centre with scientific laboratories(Laboratoire d’excellence PATRIMEX); the University Institute of Technology which is part of the University of Cergy-Pontoise; the International Research Hall (Maison Internationale de la Recherche, MIR); the railway(RER) station Cergy-Neuville; as well as the Headquarters of the Departmental Fire and Rescue Service (SDIS). Combining tradition and technology, culture and well-being, Neuville pleasantly perpetuates its esprit de village.